Thursday, April 1, 2010

What We're Listening To - She & Him's Volume 2

For the past two weeks, I've been listening to what easily is my album of the year.

I may not have gotten into the groove that was Vol 1, but Vol 2 has me hooked.

Zooey's sweet, sugary, candy coated piercing vocals. Her cooing on Thieves can only be matched by her indomitable songwriting prowess.

Coupled with M. Ward's fuzzy, Phil Spector lite production values. Yes, he's pining for a time on the musical spectrum that literally existed for half a second. But just because your mark of perfection is tiny doesn't mean you shouldn't try to aim for it. Because my friend, he hit it.

What I'm saying is this. I'm a convert. They've done it for me. I looked at my iTunes playlist count and I can only imagine that to hit such a number over the past two weeks I must've been listening to this album on repeat in my bed while I sleep.

She & Him are rocking my ears, my heart and my soul. Thank you.

2 comments:

midlakewinter said...

Bout time man. That record is strong. It is painful lyrically at some points, but wonderful none-the-less.

I totally agree that it perfects an overlooked/forgotten musical moment. But not all records need to move us forward for its own sake. I don't want everyone to be Animal Collective now.

And welcome to the S&H bus.

midlakewinter said...

wait! you weren't serious. but i was/am. you are a bad person - that is all.