Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What We Are Listening To - The Drums s/t

I wish I could say I came across The Drums s/t album through some awesome bar playing it in Boston (though a lot of restaurants brought it musically), but a simple 140 character suggestion from Amazon mp3 was the selling point for me "Suggested if you like the Smiths, Surfer Blood, driving up the coast."

Which are three things I like on an above average basis (the Surfer Blood album is one of the years best and most earnest efforts). Also should be added to that list is dancing. And surf pop.

But these 12 stripped down minimalist synthed songs are fun. Very Pretty in Pink as cowrker said. The handclapping on Skippin Town and the whistling on Let's Go Surfing is fun. And Morrissey he's not. He goes dark but think simpler. "You're my best friend but then you died." "Baby I don't know what to do without your love. Tell me what to do-ooo-oo-oo"

Every song is great though, rising above most other surf pop clogging up this year. Grab the album and pull a few songs off for a mix tape or two.

If you're interested in hitting up their 9:30 club show on 9/12, leave a comment or send me an email.

2 comments:

Lisa Plus Size said...

This is a great suggestion:

"Suggested if you like the Smiths, Surfer Blood, driving up the coast."

Sounds like I would like it too.

Plus Size Dorita said...

I'm definitely gonna check out this album, I love Surf Pop!