Hi folks. Georgy here. Dave asked me to shimmy on over (h'yuk) and share some of my favorite musical items from 2009 thus far. I haven't added an excessive amount of commentary, but hopefully enough to get you interested.
Note: I deliberately picked songs that are not on any of the top 10 albums. I cast a much wider net for MP3s than I do for albums, so I think there are some interesting picks in there.
If you like what you read, you can catch me blogging regularly over at Safe Digression.
Without further ado...
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
- YYY albums always sneak up on me. I think they'll just be alright, and then Karen O never fails to blow me away. 'Blitz' is no different.
Eels - Hombre Loco
- A concept piece revolving around the concept of desire, the inimitable Mr. E leaves it all out on the table once more, and you can't help but be affected.
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
- Yes, their band may have the most precious/pretentious name ever, but they put out a heck of a fun record, poppy with a hint of 80s throwback.
Hello Saferide - More Modern Short Stories From...
- My favorite quirky Swedish chanteuse
Bob Mould - Life and Times
- The man, the myth, the legend - he's not quitting anytime soon. Another solid effort.
Bishop Allen - Grrr...
- These guys continue to be some of the most inventive popsmiths out there. Another Boston(-originated) band makes good.
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
- What more can be said? She is simply captivating. This album is a compelling work that demands your attention.
A Camp - Colonia
- Another rec from the DP himself. I love me some Cardigans, and while the slower tempo on this record took some time for me to adjust to, I soon fell hard.
Passion Pit - Manners
- Yay, another Boston band makes good! Some of the most fun, well-crafted music I've heard in a while.
AC Newman - Get Guilty
- I always feel like AC is better off sticking to his other life as a Pornographer, but his solo work is pretty enjoyable, and this is no different -- probably better than his solo debut, actually.
Phoenix - 1901
- Just a fun electro-poppy cut from some hipper-than-thou French dudes.
Baby Dayliner - You Push, I'll Go
- I imagine this song playing in the car when you're heading out to the bar. Gonna get a vodka soda, with a lime, with a lime.
The Decemberists - The Rake's Song
- Was not a fan of this album, but this song just kicks ass. Deliciously spiteful.
St. Vincent - Marrow
- A fun, dark and crunchy offering from the lovely Ms. Clark.
Mary Onettes - Dare
- This song is a delightfully fuzzy new wave throwback.
Owl City - Hot Air Balloon
- The DP actually turned me onto this. He described it best: Postal Service Lite. Still fun, though.
Nickodemus - Sun Children
- An awesomely catchy summer jam, complete with a great horn section.
Thunderheist - Sweet 16
- Here's your dirty club cut of the summer.
Paper Moon - What Are You Going to Do with Me?
- This Canadian band has not got enough props for their solid head-bobbing pop.
Brighton Port Authority feat. David Byrne and Dizzee Rascal - Toe Jam
- Probably my favorite song of the year. The video is a must-see. Censorship was never so much fun.