Thursday, February 12, 2009

What I'm Listening To - Griffin House "Fly Upside Down" (and a contest!!!)


Have I told you about Shifted Sound, the best damn indie music podcast on the planet?

I'm sure I have. This past week's episode (No. 142 for you people keeping count), brought some really solid music. Sweet Water, Tiny Animals, Now Now Every Children. Really good stuff.

But he also had an in studio guest, singer/songwriter Griffin House. And wow. This is the first time I had ever heard Griffin's music (I know, I've been under a rock), but I was floored. He has a few albums out, but his latest "Flying Upside Down" is a real winner.

You've probably heard his music on various soundtracks or TV shows. "Better Than Love" might be the song your daughter gets married to. He's a storyteller at heart, writing really simple but lyrically strong stories woven into amazing melodies ("I Remember", "Hanging On"). The tempo never really changes, but it's perfect where it is. "Live to be Free" is like something off "Easy Tiger"The standout on this album without a doubt is "The Guy That Says Goodbye to You is Out of His Mind." You should get this album for that song alone.

If you like early Ryan Adams and if you like later Conor Oberst, but wish the both of them wrote more about love and less about, well, themselves, you will LOVE Griffin House and you will LOVE this album.

And since I know you like free stuff, Shifted Sound is giving away an autographed copy of Flying Upside Down. Email your name, address and phone to shelbyATshiftedsound.com with Griffin House in the subject line. I believe the contest ends Feb 22, so hop to it!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Heard "Live to Be Free" for the first time today and it was amazing!!

You can leave music on at your desk more often if you'll play stuff like that =)